[nycphp-talk] MySQL modelling tool (as seen in PHPArch?)

Jayesh Sheth jayeshsh at ceruleansky.com
Wed Nov 10 13:02:28 EST 2004

Hello all,

I hope the New York City winter winds have not cooled your interest in all
things PHP and MySQL yet.

I remember reading in an older issue of PHP Architect about a free tool
used to build a visual representation of a MySQL database. I am not sure
what to call such a tool: a schema mapper, a schema diagram tool, or
something else?

In any case, after quite a bit of googling, I don't seem to be getting
anywhere. (I am considering buying the new SmartDraw Suite 7, available
from smartdraw.com, which is an all-purpose diagramming / drawing tool. I
also got a special $100 off discount link for it, which makes it more of a
tempting buy.)

Still, I would prefer to find a more specialized tool that will let me
clearly show the relationships between tables: foreign keys, indices,
keys, columns and column types, etc.

I am also willing to pay a reasonable sum of money ($0 - $300) for a
commercial tool that does just this.

Sorry if this topic has been brought up before: I tried using
"site:lists.nyphp.org mysql" in Google to search the mailing list
archives, but that does not seem to work.

Thanks in advance and enjoy the tropical weather here in New York!

- Jay