[nycphp-talk] newbie confusion

Freeman, Joshua j at nybg.org
Wed Nov 10 22:57:44 EST 2004

Hi all,

I finally have a real-world project that has impelled me to get beyond all the basic tutorials I've gone through.. but I'm stuck.  Here's the description of what I'm trying to achieve and the problem(s).

when a hiring manager at my employer hires a new person, the HR dept. presents the hiring mgr. with these 4.25 x 5.5 inch slips of paper with some questions for rating the applicants.. you interview 5 people, you have to fill out five pieces of paper.

My Database:

1) ethnicity:  eth_id, eth_name  (5 rows.. will never change)

2) position:   pos_id, pos_name (i want to avoid creating multiple names for the same position)

3) interviewer: int_id, int_fname, int_lname (these are the managers... I'd like to prevent people from  putting their name in different ways at different times (like.. Josh Freeman, Joshua Freeman..)

4) applicant:  app_id, app_name (what if the same applicant applies for more than one position?)

5) reason:  reason_id, reason_text (i.e. too inexperienced, not enough experience.. mean the same thing..  so create a separate table...)

and the MAIN TABLE!

6) rating:  rating_id, app_id, pos_id, eth_id, gender(enum or separate table?), interested (ditto), reason_id, comments, datestamp

So.. already, I need some guidance on how much to break this out.. do I need two more tables for gender and 'interested'?

Here's my pseudo code:

1) page loads:  while loading, php reaches into the tables of the database to grab the existing lists of interviewers, positions, applicants, ethnicities, reasons and maybe genders and 'interested'

2) page displays the form:  using the information grabbed while loading the form consists of:

     pulldowns for interviewer, position, applicant, ethnicity, reason
     radio button for gender
     checkbox for 'interested' and textarea for comments

2a) in addition to pulldowns, the person filling out the form can write in interviewer fname, lname, position name, applicant fname, lname and reason...

3) person submits form ... if information was written in instead of taken from the pulldowns then that information needs to get written to the correct tables and then the id numbers from those rows have to be put into the new record being created in the main table...

Finally,

4) the submitted data is displayed back to the browser

Does this all make sense?

I can take form input and put it into a single table, but now.. I'm really LOST..

can someone help me?

I'm googling for the tutorial(s) or examples I need but I'm not finding yet...

Thanks in advance for any handholding or advice.

Cheers,

J.

Joshua S. Freeman
Director, Information Technology, NYBG