[nycphp-talk] [OT] Virtual Dedicated Servers

Francisco Reyes lists at natserv.com
Fri Nov 12 22:10:55 EST 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Jeff Loiselle wrote:

> a. Has anyone tried VDS hosting?

A virtual machine?

> b. what kind of experience did you have?

Very good.

> c. what are the major factors to look for in a good VDS host?

That they don't host too many VMs in the box. That they have good response
time and that you can move up to better plan easily.

I use http://hub.org and am so far very happy.
They are the same people that run PostgreSQL Inc. so if PostgreSQL is your
DB, they are a good host. They also host Mysql too.

In general I think VMs work great if you have many low traffic, low space
clients. For busy sites with big disk demands a collocated box probably
your best choice.