[nycphp-talk] PHP: Universal Document Conversion

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 14:16:27 EST 2004

Is TIFF really the universal file format? I guess it is if you only
want to view the documents, but if you ever want to recover the
content, it's kind of a horrible idea.

I like Michael's Ghostscript idea -- anything that you can print from
Linux can be "printed" to a postscript file. Postscript preserves the
look of the document (like TIFF would) but also allows the text to be
extracted.

The collection of software and the PHP glue to bind it all together
probably doesn't exist yet. But I bet a lot of people on this list
have pieces of it already.  This would be an excellent open-source
project.