[nycphp-talk] 4 and 5 on the same development box (again)

David Mintz dmintz at davidmintz.org
Tue Nov 30 23:07:50 EST 2004

This came up a few months back and I can't seem to locate the thread in
the archives (It seems that when you google "whatever
site:lists.nyphp.org" you strike out no matter what 'whatever' is. But I
digress...)

Suppose you don't mind restarting Apache to switch between 4 and 5. Is
there any reason why one couldn't install php5 in something like
/usr/local/php5 and write a second httpd.conf to work with it, then maybe
write a shell script for restarting using the appropriate config?

I've read Adam Trachtenberg's recipes for setting up PHP 5 as a CGI and
using it alongside PHP4. (Great book that "Upgrading to PHP 5", btw, thank
you Adam). Makes sense. There was also another recipe proposed by G.
Schlossnagle on this list -- one of the posts I can't seem to find -- that
involved mod_proxy and so on, which I'd love to have another look at if
someone could point the way. But I was wondering about the scenario
described above.

Thanks,

---
David Mintz