[nycphp-talk] PHP AND AOL Instant Messenger

ophir prusak lists at prusak.com
Sat Oct 2 22:39:37 EDT 2004

Actually, you CAN implement a chat client using only a web page.

Without going into to much detail, you have one frame which refreshes
every 5 seconds or so to check if there are any new messages.
If there are it pushes the message to the chat window.

At one of my previous jobs I implemented the front end of such a beast
using only apache, php, mysql and javascript.

The javascript was more complex then anything I thought I'd ever do :)

Looking at jabbix.com i see they seem to be doing the same thing more or
less:
Q: Technically speaking, how does this service work?
A: Jabbix Messenger uses a combination of PHP+MySQL (on the server side)
and XHTML+CSS+JavaScript (on the client side). The PHP back-end
transmits commands to the browser in realtime, which are then executed
using JavaScript to create an interactive interface without the use of
plug-ins. On the server-side, Jabbix Messenger uses Jabber
<http://www.jabber.org> technology to communicate with other Jabber
servers and other third-party chat networks.