[nycphp-talk] simple problem with sessions

Chris Shiflett shiflett at php.net
Sat Oct 9 14:44:16 EDT 2004

--- Jeff Siegel <jsiegel1 at optonline.net> wrote:
> Take a look at the second note at:
> http://php.net/session_write_close

I've seen this suggested before (using session_write_close()), and I've
never understood it. It's possible that I'm just missing something, but
the header() function never terminates the script, and PHP always writes
session data once the script ends.

Has anyone ever actually seen the user of header() result in the session
data not being written? I'd be very interested in knowing whether there is
some fringe case or bug that prompted this suggestion. I used to do this
myself, until I actually thought about it for a minute and couldn't figure
out why it made any sense. :-)

Chris

=====
Chris Shiflett - http://shiflett.org/

PHP Security - O'Reilly     HTTP Developer's Handbook - Sams
Coming December 2004        http://httphandbook.org/