[nycphp-talk] NEW PHundamentals Question - Headers & Downloads

Jeff Siegel - PHundamentals jeff.siegel at nyphp.org
Tue Oct 12 15:39:05 EDT 2004

For the next PHundamentals article, we are exploring best practices in
the use of headers.  Over the next few weeks, we'll be asking about the
various ways in which headers are used.  This week's question (see
below) concerns the use of headers which force downloads.

Jeff Siegel
Proj. Mgr. - PHundamentals
--

PHundamentals Question on Headers & Downloads

1) How should headers be used to force browsers to download specific
types of files, including PDF, CSV, Word, Excel, and generic files?  Are
different headers required for different browsers?  How can you ensure
the correct file extension is maintained for downloaded files?  What
issues are there with SSL? Our aim, as always, is to arrive at "best
practices" so please be specific as to how your solution is the optimal
solution.