[nycphp-talk] [OT] Flash MX<->LAMP<->XML

Tim Gales tgales at tgaconnect.com
Wed Sep 1 19:19:38 EDT 2004

Jon Baer writes:
> ive been playing around w/ a copy of Flash MX lately +
> wrapping my head around ActionScript 2.0 .. im just curious
> what the general feedback about it would be?  does anyone
> here wear a Flash hat?  i used to liken it to be VisualBasic
> for the web but ive noticed alot more people using it for
> widgetry w/ XML which seems pretty cool (albeit nothing you
> probably couldn't accomplish w/ DHTML + PHP) ..
>
> any good resources? i found flashkit.com which had a load of
> .fla's to play w/ ..
>
> programming wise it would be nice to see PHP5/Ming OO, exists?
>
> also, can anyone shed lite on what (or where) Flash Lite 1.1
> might be running?

Flush lite (from MuckYo'Media) might be running on
some D505i (Mitsubishi) cell phones in Japan --
that is, it is possible to run the content on the
cell phones since they have the player installed.

In order to get European handset manufacturers to
consider 'lite', the software manufacturer had to
guarantee that the 'lite' player would be SVG-T
conformant.

This may be because European manufacturers want to
remain flexible and have the ability to play SVG-T
content as well -- I don't look at it that way.
(SVG seems technically superior to me --
but I am certainly no expert)

I don't know if the Japanese handsets can play
both formats -- but it is probably a good bet that
they can (that is, that the D505's can play SVG-T also).

T. Gales & Associates
'Helping People Connect with Technology'

http://www.tgaconnect.com