[nycphp-talk] a freelancing story..

Joel De Gan joel at tagword.com
Tue Sep 7 11:26:08 EDT 2004

Hi all, I know there has been a lot of talk about freelancing here and I
thought I would share some recent events.
I run a semi-busy freelancing job board and just had some issues with a
user and some fraud.
Figured I would pass on this info so that some of you considering
freelancing, or who are new at it might not be aware of a group of
people who scam new freelancers. This one was set up beforehand and
then executed quickly. The product passed hands just several minutes
before I had reversed all funds and started cancelling accounts.

Basically this is how it starts:
Scammer contacts user, requests rush job, agrees to first
quote (it doesn't matter because they are not paying) decides
to use an escrow on a freelance site and always uses a credit
card. Because of the escrow it seems legit.
In the instance below I was responding to the programmer who
was scammed by a Mike ONeil (powerx at albarid.net) albarid is
a free email service and I imagine the name is bogus.