[nycphp-talk] DB_DataObject --

Eddie Haber php at haberco.com
Tue Sep 7 17:35:12 EDT 2004

Adding...I am also curious about this.

DB_DataObject is built on DB_PEAR. I ran my own benchmark tests and viewed
those on the net and DB_Pear appeared several times slower than ADODB and
even my own MySql wrapper. I wonder if there are any object abstraction
libraries like this built on ADODB? Does anyone know?

I've written my own sql building engine similar to DB_DataObject, where the
objects generate their own SQL statements and output template arrays of data
formatted for HTML. It also produces HTML fill-in forms automatically for
objects, taking hints about form elements or making guesses based on field
type. If I ever clean up the code I might open-source it.

Does anyone have any experience working with high-level sql builders and
object-managers that generate SQL and format output data? The next layer of
abstraction after the db wrapper, in other words. The dare I say... Oh
dreaded term: business logic. But it's "smart" business logic. The best of
these should be able to automatically generate multi-table joins and manage
business-layer objects that span multiple tables.

Are there any advanced versions of things like this, even commercially? Or
what toolsets do people use for these "x-treme abstraction"(if I may)
strategies?

Eddie