[nycphp-talk] recommended introductory PHP text

inforequest sm11szw02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Sep 9 12:40:47 EDT 2004

inforequest sm11szw02-at-sneakemail.com |nyphp 04/2004| wrote:

> David Mintz dmintz-at-davidmintz.org |nyphp 04/2004| wrote:
>
>> Suppose you were teaching a PHP course (10 sessions x 3 hrs)  to people
>> who knew only HTML. What book(s) would you recommend?

Just a little creative extension here.... would you consider having
everybody sign onto O'Reilly's Safari Bookshelf for the duration of the
course? Ten weeks of Bookshelf costs les than a good book, and gives you
ten titles to work with.

- students get a valuable intro to the Safari service and O'Reilly
- instructor/student can hop between appropriate chapters of up to 10
top books... no need for compromise
- course vendor gets a commission for every user who stays with Safari
Bookshelf - may cover some resource expenses

As an instructor, I'd love that cause I could challenge every student to
her fullest potential (or, er, enable her to challenge herself to her
fullest  ;-). You'll have to deal with the politics (no free 6 lbs of
paper included in the course fee) and resource constraints (terminal
access in class?)

-=john