[nycphp-talk] recommended introductory PHP text

Chris Shiflett shiflett at php.net
Fri Sep 10 16:02:02 EDT 2004

--- Brian O'Connor <gatzby3jr at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm heading off to college next year and I haven't found a college
> that has offered a course on Web Programming (just Computer
> Science, which I'm assuming is Java / C++).

Computer science is independent of programming languages. Most programs
tend to teach something fundamental like C as a first semester course and
use that to demonstrate the theoretical principles taught in other
courses. A programming language course might teach several languages, but
it is more likely to focus on principles.

Of course, the practical stuff is much easier to learn on your own, and
you're likely to do exactly that as you make your way through the CS
program. For example, when taking a class on software engineering, the
class will be teaching you about UML, patterns, and things like that.
However, you'll most likely be required to create a project that
incorporates what you're learning. I wanted to learn to write Web
applications with Perl, so I chose such a thing as my project. The class
wasn't about Perl, the Web, or anything practical, but I forced myself to
learn those things by choosing the project I did.

If you go on to get your Masters, you'll probably find more options in
terms of focusing on one topic like the Web.

Chris

=====
Chris Shiflett - http://shiflett.org/

PHP Security - O'Reilly