[nycphp-talk] Is PHP a good choice for automating network monitoring?

Daniel Krook krook at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 14 00:23:24 EDT 2004

> I'm savvy enough to configure
> an SSH server on the machine locally and configure the router over
> there to let requests from the Internet through, but I obviously can't
> figure out where that computer is unless I call my parents and direct
> her to whatismyip.com.

Meitar,

Is there any reason that you're not considering a free dynamic DNS
provider such as noip.com or dyndns.com for this task?

You can get a "static" hostname that is always tied to your dynamic IP
with these services.  In essence, they provide you with a downloadable
client that regularly pings their servers to check in with your current IP
address.  For an annual fee, you can tie one of your own registered
domains to their nameservers as well.

It seems worth checking out before writing a PHP client to do something
similar.

Daniel Krook, Application Developer
WW Web Production Services North 2, ibm.com
1133 Westchester Avenue, White Plains, NY 10604

Personal: http://info.krook.org/
Persona: http://w3.ibm.com/eworkplace/persona_bp_finder.jsp?CNUM=9A9796897