[nycphp-talk] Zend Studio And Sourceforge

Chris Shiflett shiflett at php.net
Sat Sep 25 15:42:50 EDT 2004

--- Joseph Crawford <codebowl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone here use zde and have used the CVS feature for a
> sourceforge cvs account?

Nope, but I have experience with SF's CVS setup.

> i have found out that on windows

I have no experience with Windows, however.

> you need to do port forwarding via putty and connect putty to
> the ssh server for the CVS to work

I don't really understand why you need to do any port forwarding unless
you're talking about a local firewall or something. But yes, I think puTTY
is the ssh client of choice for Windows users.

> however sourceforge doesnt offer shell access for the cvs
> repository just your user account

It's true that you can't exactly log in on the CVS server and get a shell,
but you do have an account there - that's how CVS is able to work at all.
They just do this when you log in:

     Welcome to cvs1.sourceforge.net

     This is a restricted Shell Account
     You cannot execute anything here.

     Connection to cvs.sourceforge.net closed.

> and i have tried doing this with the user account it just
> doesnt work.

With Linux, you just need two environment variables (or use command line
flags to set them) for CVS:

export CVSROOT='yourname at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot'
export CVS_RSH='ssh'

I know that people who use Windows to connect to a secure CVS server use
puTTY for the CVS_RSH somehow, likely by specifying the full path to it.
The CVSROOT should be the same.

Hope that helps.

Chris

=====