[nycphp-talk] Publishing on the New York PHP website

Tim Gales tgales at tgaconnect.com
Sun Sep 26 10:03:07 EDT 2004

Joseph Crawford writes:

> Daniel [Convissor], if you can get it posted on the NYPHP site i can
> create a walkthrough for getting this setup not as difficult
> as i thought it was going to be ;)

If anyone has some information, which they feel will
be of general interest or help to the PHP community,
and they feel it should be published (and here I
mean in addition to being published in the
mail list archives), New York PHP has some
established procedures for accomplishing this.

If the information covers so much ground
that it would require a whole new section
on the website, then it would be a project.

You should then follow the guidelines for
submitting a project at:
 http://www.nyphp.org/content/presentations/nyphp/index.php?slide=10

If the information is more along the lines of
a best practice for coding or otherwise using
PHP (e.g. how to best set PHP ini directives),
it is more likely to be a candidate for a
PHundamental article.
(see: http://education.nyphp.org/phundamentals/ )

Article ideas, which are candidates for a 'PHundamental',
can be submitted to Jeff Siegel (jeff.siegel at nyphp.org)
or Michael Southwell (michael.southwell at nyphp.org).

Other information, which serves as a useful
'backgrounder', would probably be best published
as an AMPere.
(see: http://education.nyphp.org/ampeers/ )

You can get in touch with Jasper Lin (jasper.lin at nyphp.org),
who is the AMPeers Project Manager.

Actually all these ways to get something published
are described on the website -- but I thought it
might be handy to summarize them here.

One more important thing about contributing to
New York PHP is that you don't have to be a
'ninja master' or a '6th degree black belt' in PHP
to be able to contribute.

I wish this fact were more widely known among associate
members -- I sometimes get the feeling that many
people are reluctant to offer to help, because
they feel they haven't yet mastered PHP.

This is too bad because the fastest way to
learn something is to work with other people
who can give you a few 'pointers' -- not slug
it out by yourself.

T. Gales & Associates
'Helping People Connect with Technology'

http://www.tgaconnect.com