[nycphp-talk] PHP And Search Engines

corey szopinski corey at domanistudios.com
Wed Sep 29 16:39:53 EDT 2004

I generally build 'spider food' pages for our sites. Since we're usually
putting our navigation in Flash files, the search engines can't hit interior
pages. I find that this technique also works well for dynamic pages.

Here's an example of a basic one, that rides in the footer of the home page:

http://thesagamore.com/sitemap.html

You can see that it works because this link for an interior section comes up
perfectly in google:

http://www.google.com/search?q=the+sagamore+specials

And here's an example of Google finding a dynamic page (it's #2 on the list)
http://www.google.com/search?q=sagamore+thanksgiving+special

Not sure if that helps you out much, it's pretty basic. But it works.

-corey

On 9/29/04 4:22 PM, "Joseph Crawford" <codebowl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> i know this isnt directed fully towards php but i have been developing
> sites for some time now and one of the parts i lack is the knowledge
> about search engines and spidering.
>
> Lately i have read a bit about the NYPHP site and something about
> search engine spidering.  I understand the basics such as basic meta
> tags but what i need to know is if there is an easy way without use
> apache's mod_rewrite to make a search engine index pages that have
> querystrings such as
>
> product.php?id=57
>
> where each id shows a dynamic page filled with information about
> different products.
>
> now one would think that when it spiders your products.php page and it
> shows links to products it would follow them and then index the
> results as if it was an html document, however i have been told that
> pages like that are not indexed.
>
> If anyone can direct me to any books/online reading etc.. i would appreciate
> it.
>
> --

DOMANI STUDIOS

Corey Szopinski