[nycphp-talk] PHP 5 singleton/destructor question

Daniel J Cain Jr. dan at cain.sh
Fri Apr 1 02:27:36 EST 2005

Lemme try to explain again and try and make more sense.

PHP tracks the number of references to a variable, when there are no
more references it can safely be destroyed by the Zend engine.  So the
count should be at 2. One for the instance you grab in the main script
and another for the static reference inside the class definition.  You
need to run two unsets(one inside the class, and one outside the class)
to make that variables reference count == 0.