[nycphp-talk] open source box office, ticketing, volunteer management project

Benjamin Melançon ben_na at melanconent.com
Sat Apr 9 12:01:27 EDT 2005

Dear Patrick Fee and others in this PHP community,

I came across a February thread seeking a simple on-line ticket system
for a small theater.

I would like to know what was found and what was done, as I plan to do
an open source project that would extend on such software.

I'm part of a new community-oriented non-profit arts center opening in
Framingham, Massachusetts.  We're trying to create a comprehensive
donor-tracking and ticket system for our use and for other non-profit,
small, or mid-size venues anywhere.

Below is my current vision for what we're trying to do.  I have a
programmer I intend to lead this project and I'm hoping for a lot of
help from the open source community and especially any theater groups,
music venues, or other places that would like to use this software and
could submit their requirements and contribute to the project.

Our arts center needs a professional-quality venue ticketing system,
complete with customizable seating charts, with different prices by
section, advance tickets, members, and student/seniors.  The system
should also track ticket-buyers and attendance, and allow internet
ticket sales as well as ones we process ourselves.

Ultimately, we would want to build a complete system with fully
integrated volunteer, member, attendee, and donor tracking.  This would
include such things as what volunteer groups people are in, people's
membership levels, what shows they went to in what categories like jazz
or folk, and what they have given to the center.

I'm interested in writing it in PHP and MySQL, and storing virtually
everything on-line except members' credit card numbers.  I'm open to
any solution, but I'd strongly like the final product to be open source
and available to all arts venues.  All parts on-line (and off) would
need good security, which is something I'd need help with.

If you have time and interest – or just advice – please drop me a line.

Sincerely,

Benjamin Melançon
Amazing Things Arts Center
http://www.amazingthings.org/