[nycphp-talk] Can I do this in one query?

Adam Fields fields at hedge.net
Sun Apr 10 22:26:07 EDT 2005

On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 12:28:39AM -0400, Tom wrote:
> Can I do this in one query?
>
> Suppose I have a three column table (it is really not, but I'm trying to
> keep it simple)
>
> table: scores
> name, varchar(40)
> category, varchar(40)
> points, int

If you're on MySQL 4.1+, you ought to be able to do this with
something like:

SELECT name, points, category FROM scores s
WHERE points IN (SELECT points FROM scores WHERE category = s.category
      ORDER BY points DESC LIMIT 0,5)
ORDER BY category, points DESC;

(I think that's right, I haven't actually tried it.)

However, this is not guaranteed to give you exactly five results for
each category if there are duplicates on points.