[nycphp-talk] [OT] SSH security question

David Mintz dmintz at davidmintz.org
Sat Apr 30 18:50:17 EDT 2005

re leam's response:  I should have been a little clearer.  It's not coming
from the same address every day, it comes from different directions from
day to day or within in the same day.

Rolan said: <<Sometimes. I have found portsentry to be a useful tool in
blocking/annoying port scan hackers. Basically, it listens on handful of
ports where active services are not running....>>

sshd is running and this is happening on the port where it's listening (I
presume). I use ssh to communicate with this box from Out There, and
unauthorized others also attempt to, evidently.

I'm just wondering what defensive measures can/should be taken. But I need
to learn more about security in general, so I guess I'll STFU and RTFM.

Thanks.

---
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/