[nycphp-talk] Experts help needed (Sessions)

Chris Shiflett shiflett at php.net
Sat Aug 6 17:58:52 EDT 2005

Joseph Crawford wrote:
> if you are incrementing on a valid match of the UA, are you saying to
> stop checking once they hit a threshold of say 50 checks?

I'm saying to start enforcing the checking at that point. :-)

This whole idea of recording history is just to increase the reliability
of the approach - it's not necessary, but you're otherwise more likely
to ask a legitimate user to provide the password again.

This same approach can be used for more than just user agent - the idea
is to identify things that are consistent in requests from your
legitimate users, then you can identify inconsistencies as a reason for
suspicion.

Hope that helps.

Chris

--