[nycphp-talk] PHP 6 features discussion

Matthew Terenzio matt at jobsforge.com
Sat Aug 13 11:16:25 EDT 2005

i used to think we needed a 'throws' keyword for methods.
As I tried to formulate my email, I changed my mind.

I'm no language architect, but it seems to me that in Java you define a
method and let others know that it may throw a certain type of
exception.
That way they know in advance and MUST handle it or it won't compile.
But  since we are not compiling, I guess all possible exceptions should
be handled by the method or class creators, since it seems impossible
to impart this knowledge to the class or method user.
the class or method user shouldn't need to know anything about how the
class works except what methods can be called, properties that are
available etc.
I don't know really , though
-Matt