[nycphp-talk] Apache MaxRequestsPerChild Question

Hans Zaunere lists at zaunere.com
Thu Aug 25 06:29:00 EDT 2005

talk-bounces at lists.nyphp.org wrote on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 3:33
PM:
> Does anyone have any experience with setting the MaxRequestsPerChild
> directive in the Apache config to some other value other than zero.
>
> Have you ever set MaxRequestsPerChild to another value. If so
> what number have you used?

Rarely - set it to 10000 on occaision...

> I want to limit the amount of resources kept in use, and want child
> processes curtailed more promptly.

I only did it because of instability with some Oracle client libs that PHP
was linked against.  That was about 4 years ago, and I haven't done it again
since.  Generally, setting it higher than zero isn't needed, but you could
set it to 10k or something (on a moderate trafficed site) for paranoic
reasons (or, perhaps, if you're on Solaris or another UNIX that isn't as
popular).

---
Hans Zaunere
President, Founder