[nycphp-talk] PHP5/Apache problems after FC4 upgrade SOLVED

David Mintz dmintz at davidmintz.org
Thu Aug 25 10:45:07 EDT 2005

FWIW, here is how I muddled through, in case somebody else one day is
desperate enough to follow suit. I have minimal expertise in solving build
errors, so if I don't find a solution here or from Mr Google, I just have
to beat my head against it until it works.

My ./configure includes --with-xml and --with-xsl. I was getting compile
errors about libxml2.la not being a valid libtool archive. I tried mucking
around with /usr/lib/libxml2.la and manually re-building libxml2, and for
my trouble I got something like 'libxml2.la seems to have moved.' When I
left these configure options out it worked fine. But I didn't want that so
I finally

* removed and reinstalled libxml2 via yum. yum erased several other
packages that depended on it so I re-installed these after re-installing
libxml2

* rm -rf /path/to/php-5.0.4 source directory resulting from unpacking
php-5.0.4.tar.gz.

* unpacked tarball and did ./configure [...], make, make install once
again.

HTH somebody.

---
David Mintz