[nycphp-talk] passthru() return codes

Jeff Loiselle jeff.loiselle at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 09:21:02 EST 2005

Greg,

Thanks for the reply. But after nobody replied yesterday, I pretty
much figured it all out. ;-) passthru() does return error codes.. and
apparently it can send error codes from a variety of places.. i've
recieved operating system errors codes if it can't find the specified
program... but it took me a while to figure out it also returns the
error codes of the application you are trying to execute... once i
figured that out, everything went fine. ;-)

> The passthru() command is capable of returning the return code of the
> system call.

When I see comments like this, I assume systems calls meaning things
like 'stat'.. not things like 'unzip'. ;-) So that's slightly
confusing, especially when you're not sure if the error codes are
coming from the OS or the program you are executing.

thanks.