[nycphp-talk] PHP Coding Standards

Mikko Rantalainen mikko.rantalainen at peda.net
Mon Dec 12 06:36:07 EST 2005

csnyder wrote:
> On 12/9/05, Morgan Craft <morgan at forsalebyowner.com> wrote:
>
>>What about Hungarian notation?  I had not heard of it till I recently
>>Hungarian Notation(wiki): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_notation
>
> Gack! Not in my code, thanks. Names are names, not type declarations.

Learn the difference between "Apps Hungarian" and "Systems
Hungarian". I'd support former but there's no way I'd use latter for
anything.

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Wrong.html

"But then something kind of wrong happened.

The dark side took over Hungarian Notation.

Nobody seems to know why or how, but it appears that the
documentation writers on the Windows team inadvertently invented
what came to be known as Systems Hungarian."

Interesting reading - a bit longish, though.

--
Mikko