[nycphp-talk] Java - It's So Nineties

Allen Shaw ashaw at polymerdb.org
Wed Dec 14 17:19:05 EST 2005

Hi All,

Having read John's posts here for a couple of years, my guess is his
tongue was planted so firmly in cheek that some people didn't notice.
If I'm right, I guess the fact that someone took him literally just
reflects how common such a "javascript == java light for script kiddies"
attitude is.  Nice, John.  :o)

- Allen

Morgan Craft wrote:
> I've never thought java was anymore difficult than php.  In fact JAVA
> was the first programming language I learned in college in my
> introductory computer sciences courses before moving on to C.  I picked
> up PHP because it seemed like a simple and fast web development language
> that gave me the flexibility to communicate with MySQL and Flash
> Actionscript.
>
> And JAVA and Javascript are nothing alike.  Javascript was made by
> someone at Netscape, not Sun.  And it wasn't even called Javascript at
> first.  Bleh, I could go on and on about the difference but I have work
> to do.
>
> I do enjoy the irony. Randal makes a jest about people not understanding
> the difference between Javascript/java and someone had to illustrate the
> point for us.  *bravo*
>
> inforequest wrote:
>

>>Randal Rust randalrust-at-gmail.com |nyphp dev/internal group use| wrote:

>>>The company that I work for is primarily a Java shop. The global HR
>>>director sent out an email the other day regarding some new jobs that
>>>were available. One of the requirements was something called JAVA
>>>SCRIPT.
>>>
>>>There are a lot of people, especially in the public sector
>>>environment, who still think that Java is king, and couldn't tell you
>>>the difference between Java and Javascript.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Randal Rust
>>>www.r2communications.com
>>>

>>PHP is a scripting language. JAVA is a real language.
>>JAVA is a serious professional language capable of enterprise
>>applications, not just web sites. It is too hard for most script
>>programmers.
>>Therefore they also have JAVA SCRIPT, which is like a lightweight JAVA,
>>made for script coders (like PHP coders who have graduated to something
>>more serious, but aren't yet ready for the complexity of JAVA).
>>
>>Right?
>>
>>-=john andrews
>>http://www.seo-fun.com

Allen Shaw