[nycphp-talk] OT: Freelance PHP gig Not Paying up!

Andrew Yochum andrew at plexpod.com
Thu Dec 22 10:41:16 EST 2005

Kenneth's advice is very sound and level headed.

I suggest always working under a written and signed agreement that
details:
    - scope of work (spec based, time based, etc.)
    - milestones
    - deliverables (both from you and from the client)
    - timeline (maybe rough)
    - rates (hourly, daily, etc.) & expenses (licensing, etc.) and how
      they're handled (pre-approved budget, approved on-demand, etc)
    - payment schedule (on milestones, once a month, etc.)
    - late (such as 5% penalty per month) & cancellation fees (they want
      to back out)
    - who owns the code and how/when ownership will be transferred
      (copyright transfer) or license to use will be granted
Sign it yourself and get them to sign it.

But this just helps you support your case if it should happen again.
I'd pursue Kenneth's suggestion of a lawyer, or small claims court.

HTH,
Andrew