[nycphp-talk] upgrade a mySQL replication slave server without breaking replication?

Adam Fields fields at hedge.net
Tue Dec 27 17:21:59 EST 2005

On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 05:14:11PM -0500, David Mintz wrote:
> I can't seem to find this from RTFM. How indeed do you go about upgrading
> a slave server from 4.1.x to 5.0.17 and not break replication in the
> process?

This should be no problem at all - you just shut down the slave,
upgrade it, and replication should pick up again when you
restart. Then you can upgrade the master. This is the same as it was
with 3.x to 4.x.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/replication-upgrade-5-0.html

Generally, you want your slaves to be the same version as the master,
but if that's not possible (as in when you upgrade), then the slaves
must be higher version than the master.

--
				- Adam

** Expert Technical Project and Business Management
**** System Performance Analysis and Architecture
****** [ http://www.everylastounce.com ]

[ http://www.aquick.org/blog ] ............ Blog
[ http://www.adamfields.com/resume.html ].. Experience