[nycphp-talk] Maybe [ot] Duplicate Content.

Hans C. Kaspersetz hans at cyberxdesigns.com
Tue Feb 1 14:19:10 EST 2005

I am working on migrating a site from one server to another today.  On
the old server there were multiple domains pointing at one virtual site
eg:  www.domain.com, domain.com, www.domain.org and domain.org all point
to the same virtual site and therefore the same content.  (Duplicate
content.)  I am trying to devise a migration strategy that will include
301 redirects and DNS.

Do the search engines handle A records and CNAME records differently?
If www is a CNAME to domain.org, is that the same as two A records
www.domain.org and domain.org as far as search engines are concerned?
Is that subject to the duplicate content penalty?  Do I need to create 2
distinct virtual sites one for www and one for domain.org and have one
of them redirect to the other?

Hans

--
Hans C. Kaspersetz