[ot] [nycphp-talk] [frivolous re] MAMP setup tips

John Lacey jlacey at att.net
Wed Feb 2 00:39:04 EST 2005

Matt Morgan wrote:

> Hey, I'm a geologist (by academic training, anyway). Dirt comes from
> rock. The oldest possible dirt would then be about 3.5 billion years
> old, since the oldest rocks on the planet are about that old; but any
> dirt formed that long ago would have become rock again at some point in
> its history.
>
> Given the periodicity of subduction/orogeny, probably no dirt ever gets
> to be more than a couple hundred million years old before being washed
> out to sea, sedimented to the ocean floor, and either compressed into
> sedimentary rock, or failing that, subducted and either remelted
> (becoming igneous rock upon cooling) or metamorphosed. Of course most
> dirt would turn into sedimentary rock much more quickly than that:
> sedimentary rocks form on scales on the order of hundreds of thousands
> to millions of years, rather than tens or hundreds of millions.
>
> There are places where, theoretically, dirt could last longer--I'm
> thinking of the trailing edges of the continental shields, like the east
> coasts of North and South America (among others). Those places are
> stable, at least until the worldwide pattern of plate tectonics
> collapses into some other pattern. That happens roughly every 500
> million years or so (don't quote me on that--but I bet I'm right within
> a factor of 2). But really most dirt would get buried and turn into
> sedimentary rock relatively quickly, anyway.
>
> Thanks for asking!!
>
> --Matt

One day, a Pretty Sharp Guy decided to ask God about some stories he'd
heard.

[PSG] umm... Hi God, what's happenin'?
[G] The Usual...
[PSG] Mind if I ask you a coupla questions?
[G] Shoot, you've got the floor.
[PSG] Is it true you can make stuff?
[G] What kind of stuff do you mean?
[PSG] You know, "stuff".  o O (if he's God, he should know what I mean)
[G] I know what you mean, but I like when people ask me specifics.
[PSG] o O (how did he know what I was thinking?)
[G] waits...
[PSG] Well, I heard you can make things. Ants, bugs n' stuff like that.
[G] This is True.
[PSG] And bigger n' more complicated things like dogs and platypusses.
[G] Well, I just slapped the platypus together real quick.
[PSG] I even hear that you make donkeys.
[G] Yep.
[PSG] Donkeys are pretty stupid.  I could probably make one myself.
[G] You think?
[PSG] Sure, it's just a matter of puttin' the ingredients together.  It
can't be THAT hard to do.
[G] You're right.  It's easy.
[PSG] I think I'll just show you how it's done.  (goes to get some dirt)
[G] WAIT!!
[PSG] What?
[G] Get your own dirt.