[nycphp-talk] Odd Results

John Lacey jlacey at att.net
Tue Feb 8 10:44:02 EST 2005

inforequest wrote:
> John,
>
> I run 4 systems in my office and now avoid SP2 on all but the notebook.
> XAMPP worked flawlessly on every one except the one that had SP2. I didn't
> play with it I just wiped it and re-installed w/everything BUT SP2 and it
> works fine.
>
> Anectodal evidence, but backed up by a friend who just reported XAMPP
> failure after accepting SP2. XAMPP should be easy uninstall, no registry
> hooks, but a re-install didn't work either.
>
> Not solid evidence by limited experience. I have had no trouble with direct
> installs of PHP5/MySQL/Apache2 on XP either but again, I don't use SP2.
>
> For the record I just now received a video card driver update from ATI to
> fix SP2-related problems on XP. That's what, 8 months later? Now if I could
> just eliminate the VIEWMGR.EXE crashes I just started getting...

yeah, I've got a note scribbled on my whiteboard that I just glanced at
"xampp xp sp2" -- it's on my todo list to have a look at.  Although I
run XP Pro, I do not have SP2 installed.  I did do some preliminary
poking around with Google and saved this note:

File Name: WindowsXP-KB884020-x86-enu.exe
Download Size: 507 KB
Date Published:  9/17/2004
Version:  884020

Overview
This update helps resolve an issue on computers running Windows XP
Service Pack 2. Programs that connect to IP addresses in the loopback
address range may not work as expected and you may receive an error
message indicating you cannot establish a connection. After you install
this item, you may have to restart your computer.

This does not sound like the problem Joseph is experiencing though.  He
didn't mention an error and I got an error when I tried it.  My backup
plan when I go into a place to deliver a class is Knoppix and USB drives.

Thanks for the info,