[nycphp-talk] Liability protection for consultants?

leam at reuel.net leam at reuel.net
Wed Feb 9 19:01:52 EST 2005

I'm looking at doing some side work setting up CMS and shopping carts for small businesses. The web-host I use has a few offerings that are php based and I'm looking at the requirements and set up to see which one I'd want to support.

OScommerce requires register globals to be on, and Zen Cart requires some world-writeable directories in the DocumentRoot. THe other possibilites are AgoraCart, Interchange Cart, and CubeCart.

I'm reading Chris' security workbook and trying to critically review anything that deals with money. My biggest fear is that one of my customers has a compromise and the public image of the business goes so bad that they lose their business.

Yeah, I'm generally a "worst case scenario" sort of guy...

How do you protect yourself against liability, and more importantly how do you give the customer the security they deserve?

ciao!

leam