[nycphp-talk] PHP 5 Throwing Exceptions in Constructors

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Thu Feb 10 00:20:32 EST 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Matthew Terenzio wrote:

> > Is it possible to gain some insulation in certain cases by using a
> > specific exception subclass object type?
>
> To clarify what I mean, I'm wondering if Hans can't add an additional
> catch like Example 20-3->example 1 below
> and somehow only abort the instantiation if a critical exception is
> thrown

It up to you to choose if you want to abort the
instantiation. However, if you want to return an error in a
constructor, you need to throw some form of exception. It can either
be the base Exception class, or a subclass, but you can't do something
like returning false.

-adam

--
adam at trachtenberg.com | http://www.trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's "upgrading to php 5" and "php cookbook"