[nycphp-talk] Re: MySQL full text search

Faber Fedor faber at linuxnj.com
Thu Feb 17 20:19:33 EST 2005

On 17/02/05 20:10 -0500, Matthew Terenzio wrote:
>  I applied a full text index to a table.
>
> Had one entry in the DB and the match function didn't work. I figured
> the database need more entries to actually create the index.
> I created five more entries and the searches worked, but when I have a
> search term which is present in more than four rows, I seem to be
> getting an empty set.
>
> I'm combing Google and mysql.com but don't see anything yet.

As I recall, MySQL will disregard words that appear in more than x% of
the rows as "noise".

In my example, I put together a database of IT resumes.  Since
practically everyone had "Microsoft" and/or "Windows" in their resume,
a search on either would turn up nothing. I eventually went with a
straight text search (WHERE field like '%foobar%') IIRC.

--

Regards,

Faber

Linux New Jersey: Open Source Solutions for New Jersey
http://www.linuxnj.com