[nycphp-talk] newbie question/confusion

Daniel Convissor danielc at analysisandsolutions.com
Wed Feb 23 00:38:50 EST 2005

Joshua:

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 11:10:22PM -0500, Freeman, Joshua wrote:

> So, 'id' in the 'state' table is linked to the 'gardens' table via
> that table's 'state_id' field.

Good job on "normalizing" your database.  Suggestion: use the same column
names in each table for the key:  state_id.  It makes things easier to
join and is clearer.

> it on a web page, but, of course, I'm seeing the 'state_id' instead of
> either the 'state_abbreviation' or the 'state_name'.

Faber was on target.

My MySQL tutorial, while mainly geared toward how to install MySQL on
Windows, also includes SQL syntax tips:
http://www.analysisandsolutions.com/code/mybasic.htm

A later post mentioned your inquiry regarding inserting new gardens.  When
accepting user input, make sure you carefully validate the information so
it won't permit "SQL injection" attacks or other corruptions/errors.

--Dan

                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/