[nycphp-talk] Re: XML(?) problem

Faber Fedor faber at linuxnj.com
Fri Feb 25 20:59:05 EST 2005

On 25/02/05 19:36 -0600, Eric Rank wrote:
> I couldn't resist responding to this. XMLHTTPrequest is too cool to ignore....

That may be, but between the problems I had with Mambo and now with this,
I'm beginning to think I've lost my touch with programming

> I'd suggest using the DOM methods available to you for both extraction
> and insertion. I find them much more friendly and clean to use than a
> bunch of document.write statements. I've had pretty good luck with
> them for the major mainstream browsers / platforms.

Well, I'm not.

> Some of the relevant players will be:
>
> //for the response you get after making your XMLHTTPRequest.
> req.responseXML.getElementsByTagName("item");

items = req.responseXML.getElementsByTagName("item");

retunes an object HTMLCollection for item, but I'll be damned if I can
find anything in them!

> I created a simple directory listing app that you can check out.

I certainly will!  Perhaps I can glean some info from it!

> More about DOM scripting: you can see what methods and properties are
> available to you with the DOM inspector that comes with Firefox
> (tools>DOM Inspector). After you open it up, look in the right column
> at the top. you'll seee a grid-like icon with an arrow; click that and
> choose 'Javascript Object'. Then you can check out all of the
> available properties and methods available on the node you have
> selected in the left column of the window. It's an extremely handy
> tool when debugging. It also tells you what the current DOM structure
> is, regardless of your source code. So as you're building up your page
> dynamically with your xmlhttprequests, the DOM inspector gives you an
> accurate snapshot of the tree.

Okay, I missed that.  Maybe that can tell me what's going on.  That
venkman debugger was worse than useless.

--

Regards,

Faber

Linux New Jersey: Open Source Solutions for New Jersey
http://www.linuxnj.com