[nycphp-talk] php bulletin boards

Keith Richardson keithjr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 11:13:10 EST 2005

I use vbulletin and hack it regularly, as they seem not to care, and
promote it, because you can download hacks at
http://www.vbulletin.org/ - and the only way to download them is to
have a license for vbulletin..

Its easy to navigate the code once you have played with it a bit, and
is actually quite nice to use their registration system/etc as a
homebrewed main site user auth system, as I have written a bunch of
php functions to take username and get userid, validate
username+password as a good combo, etc..

Though when they release a new version, it stinks that you have to
find out your code mods, install the new vbulletin on a test folder,
modify the crap outta your themes and code, and then it should work,
but always has glitches :/

http://www.forumsx.net/ is our network site forums spawned from
war3.com - if you wish to check it out.

I used to have a bunch of automated thread creation scripts for other
parts of the site before the big bad hard drive decided to crash, and
only partial backups were performed, but It isnt too hard, just gotta
know what proper sql tables to edit...

I'm going to stick with vbulletin, since I paid for it (but my free
updates have expired from 1 year after purchase), since it is nice and
I havent had any problems with it at all.

-keith richardson