[nycphp-talk] how much to charge?

Greg Faber greg at click3x.com
Tue Jan 18 16:35:24 EST 2005

Hello,

I need some advice to find out how much I should charge for this
thing...

I created this simple content-management app for my boss. It allows him
to create "extranets" for clients and then post stills, movie clips and
other documents to the extranets so the clients can view and approve
them. It's been online for about a year now and I've made some
improvements to it, because of feedback I got from users. It's got all
the standard login forms, user creation forms, etc. It was also the
first real app I ever built in php.

Anyway, there's a number of clients who like this extranet thing and
have asked me to build them one too. My question is this, how much
should I charge?

Knowing that I "developed" it while I was at work (though web
programming is NOT the core of my work, it was more like a side
project). It really wouldn't require me to do much more programming,
just setting up their DB, phpmyadmin, etc, change the look a little bit
(color scheme and so on). Also, some of the interested parties are
"production companies" who budgeted over 100 Grand for some TV
commercials, but also there's some individual artists (editors, special
fx artists) who asked me to build them one too. So how much should I
charge for the company, and how much should I charge the individual?

thanks for your input,
Greg