[nycphp-talk] if you were teaching PHP...

Matthew Terenzio matt at jobsforge.com
Tue Jan 18 16:58:41 EST 2005

On Jan 18, 2005, at 4:16 PM, inforequest wrote:

> Okay so let's be honest. How many real world applications have
> actually been scaled up without a rewrite of the database? C'mon... a
> show of hands would be nice.
>
> -=cynic

That may be true, but if you are really big on PL/pgSQL, for instance ,
migration to MySQL is going to be a lot more than recreating the DB
tables and deciding how best a Postgres boolean will be represented in
MySQL.

In fact, unless great care is taken in representing data types alone,
(I think Daniel has a Power point about this somewhere), it's going to
be as much work recreating the DB as it is porting the PHP code.

here's the presentation I mentioned up there:
http://www.analysisandsolutions.com/presentations/portability/slides/
index.htm