[nycphp-talk] of interest - new form of database programming

Ophir Prusak prusak at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 01:02:05 EST 2005

Read the article folks :)

-- quote --
Streambase analyzes data without
storing it to disk, performing queries on data as it flows. Traditional
systems bog down because they first store data on hard drives or in main
memory and then query it,
-- end quote --

1. It isn't storing the data. period. it's just allowing you to query
it as it streams.
Think of a constant flow of stock market prices as a stream.
I'm guessing you can query something like:
Select * from stream where symbol = 'IBM' and price > 100;

2. this ISN'T a relational database. the title says "Relational
databases are great, but not for everything"

I think the term "database" is a bit misleading here, since most
people immediately think relational when they hear the term database.

Ophir