[nycphp-talk] if you were teaching PHP...

David Mintz dmintz at davidmintz.org
Wed Jan 19 10:00:25 EST 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Hans Zaunere wrote:

> > [Mitch wrote ...]
> > As a matter of fact, the biggest site I ever worked on ended up going
> > the java route, where database transparency was one of the main goals.
> > (Not my decision as I had moved on, but you get the point.)
>
> Quite true, and frankly, Java kind of has the best of both worlds.
> JDBC drivers are "abstractions" but written particularly for that
> database, ie, they expose the same interface but are native calls
> themselves.  It's a totally different layer of abstraction than, let's
> say, PEAR::DB.

This may be a naive question, but, well... Do you suppose PEAR::DB is
written the way it is (rather than more like JDBC) because PHP 4 doesn't
support the notion of interfaces? I can imagine a PEAR::DB for PHP 5 whose
factory-style constructor returns a class that implements an interface.

---
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

"Don't let the liberal media tell you what to think
and feel. If you have hatred in your heart, let it out."

   -- Clayton Bigsby, black white supremacist