[nycphp-talk] Session problem on virtual host?

Stephen Musgrave stephen at musgrave.org
Wed Jan 19 19:05:12 EST 2005

List -

I am having a problem with a content management system that I wrote
running on a Speakeasy shared host.  I use session to store variables
to maintain state such as the primary key ID for a content row I am
updating.

For the most part, this works really well, but from time to time
something goes wrong and it feels like the session gets wiped out or a
formerly used primary key ID reappears into the session, overwriting
the current primary key ID and causes me to overwrite that record in
the database.

I haven't actually witnessed this occurrence, as it happens only about
5 percent of the time, according to the person who is reporting it.

I think I have read somewhere in passing that if shared hosts are not
setup properly, sessions from other virtual domains can conflict or
that session is flaky altogether.

I have reason to suspect that the server isn't setup properly because
when I use $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'], it points to a directory that is
somewhere else in the file system.  Somebody told me that this is
because they are cheating and using symbolic links.  I'm not a server
guy and I haven't been able to get a straight answer from the hosting
provider support staff.

I should note that this CMS has run on at least 5 other shared hosting
environments and it has been a problem.

Thanks,

Stephen