[nycphp-talk] Re: Simple search engine

Andrew Yochum andrew at plexpod.com
Fri Jan 28 23:03:37 EST 2005

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 07:44:05PM -0500, Eric Kigathi wrote:
> mNoGo:
> http://search.mnogo.ru/
>
> MySQL.com uses mNoGo Search, it seems pretty effective, free/open
> source (their site is supported by "Russian Brides" ;) and scales
> fairly well

I give mnoGoSearch a thumbs up.  Its pretty customizable / configurable,
the PHP API is decent to use and its all fast, partly due to it being in
C and partly due to the DB structure.  And yes, it scales pretty well.
However, if you're looking to use the PHP API, you'll need to compile
the PHP extension and get that installed by your sysadmin.  Then you're
left with the stock search.cgi and/or the C API to write your own
version of search.c(gi).  Not a search solution I'd recommend for small
sites, unless your host has support for it in their PHP build *or*
you're comfortable with writing/hacking C.  Other solutions can be just
as effective for a small sites reqs.

HTH,
Andrew