[nycphp-talk] Question about frameworks

Phil Duffy phil at bearingasset.com
Fri Jul 1 10:20:11 EDT 2005

My motivation for trying Seagull was to create a Model-View-Controller (MVC)
foundation for a system that I expected to grow substantially over time (I
accept the counter-MVC argument that MVC is overkill for simple
applications).  The cause of my fanaticism was a bad experience with
developing an otherwise advanced architecture for the client-server world
that didn't migrate easily to the web because of inappropriate code
segregation.

In the new system, it will be the database that characterizes the next layer
of the system, not content management.  There are content management plans
for the system, and these are based upon my experience with Documentum.
However, data structure, and not CMS considerations will drive the system.

Seagull comes with some very simple content management features, but all in
separate Seagull modules that you are free to discard.  I could not say that
CMS constrains Seagull in any way.

I have copied this to the Seagull list so that other Seagull developers can
offer their impressions.

Phil