[nycphp-talk] [OT] Consulting work

Josh McCormack joshmccormack at travelersdiary.com
Fri Jul 1 20:14:04 EDT 2005

Matt Juszczak wrote:

<snip>
> Chris,
>
> I like my job, but I'm also in South Jersey.  There's nothing else down
> here.
>
> -Matt

I hired a contract information architect at the last contract position I
was at. My employer told me they wanted someone onsite. I found the
perfect person, hands on experience in everything the project would
involve. His onsite rate was a lot higher than they wanted and his
offsite rate slightly higher. They went with the offsite arrangement
even though they had excluded other potential candidates earlier that
would only do offsite.

So I think if you're somewhere like South Jersey you could potentially
sell it as a benefit - "Sure, I can do the work for you onsite in
Manhattan. My onsite rate is $75/hr. My offsite rate is $35/hr." Boy,
not seeing you is going to look really attractive for all but the
occasional meeting.

Josh