[nycphp-talk] php rpm for RH 7.3?

Hans Zaunere lists at zaunere.com
Fri Jul 8 10:03:30 EDT 2005

Hey everyone,

As it’s probably no surprise, I’m a fan of compiling from source.  The
exception, however, is MySQL, which I will use either the RPM or tarball.

Especially for production systems, I’ve found much better stability and
reliability (from a maintenance and system administration perspective) when
compiling from source.  Combine that with a high load environment, and
trimming the fat of unneeded extensions, etc. and source is generally the
way to go.  I will say, however, that for development – especially on
Windows – I’ll use some type of package management or pre-built packages,
like XAMPP (http://www.apachefriends.org <http://www.apachefriends.org/> )
which I use all the time on Windows.

---

Hans Zaunere