[nycphp-talk] php rpm for RH 7.3?

Paul Reinheimer preinheimer at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 12:30:11 EDT 2005

I to am a build from source person for the Apache/PHP/MySQL set. My
argument in support of this decision (even on an RPM based distro) has
a couple facets:
1. I've got my machine set up to automatically update RPMs when they
become available, I don't want to do this for these three. If there's
going to be a problem I want it to happen while I'm watching.
2. My configure command for PHP is kind of... long. I'm not even sure
if I would get all this with the RPM:
'./configure' '--with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql'
'--with-apxs=/etc/httpd/bin/apxs' '--with-gd' '--with-png'
'--with-zlib-dir=/usr/local/zlib-1.2.2' '--enable-gd-native-ttf'
'--with-ttf' '--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local/lib/jpeg-6b/'
'--with-freetype-dir=/usr/local/lib/freetype-2.1.9/'
'--with-xpm-dir=/usr/X11R6/' '--with-tidy' '--with-curl'
'--with-openssl=/usr/local/' '--enable-dba=shared' '--with-db4'
3. When I looked, I seem to recall having problems matching PHP
5.0.newest with Apache 1.3.newest.
4. Long configure commands aside, If I don't need it, I don't want it.
It's only one more thing to worry about.

I'm happy to let up2date manage the other stuff kicking around on the
machine, but for the trio that make my webserver work, I'm going to
stick with source.

paul

On 7/9/05, Christopher Merlo <cmerlo441 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/8/05, Mitch Pirtle <mitch.pirtle at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Ditto for debian, running source of PHP 5.0.4 on ubuntu because
> > working with the debs available was a complete disaster for me.
>
> I have to stand up for Debian, because I'm a fan.  Debian stable, and
> even testing, are perfect server environments.  Ubuntu was designed
> strictly for the user's desktop.  You have to be careful which .deb
> files you use in Ubuntu, because mixing and matching Debian .debs and
> Ubuntu .debs can lead to nightmares.
>
> I've been running PHP, MySQL, and Apache, all from .debs, on a Debian
> stable system, for about 3.5 years now, with no complaints.  This
> summer, I'm switching to testing, because it's that stable.  Ubuntu is
> a pretty desktop toy (which I'm using right now as I type this e-mail
> on my laptop), but I would never use it on a server.
>
> --
> cmerlo441 at gmail.com
> http://www.firstofthenext.com/

Paul Reinheimer