[nycphp-talk] Web Traffic Analytics

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Sat Jul 23 13:41:57 EDT 2005

This is another case of convenience and perhaps customer ignorance trumping security. These are log-file analysis programs, which operate after-the-fact on server files which contain proprietary company data. Do they really need to be "live" on a public web server?

We could go on for months about how users of analytics don't actually understand them, or use them properly, vs. how customers demand access to and over-value the reports, how we have to please the customer as a business model, etc. but the truth includes:

- users of log-based analytics don't need "real time" access (if they need "real time" knowledge, they should be using a diferent tool).
- every web coder should have technology for providing secure file access for customers, and web analytics (trade secret information) should be accessed that way - not via open http on a pubic web server.

Yes we need to satisfy the customer, but I also think that the PHP-talk list is the place to recognize this poor industry practice. Perhaps (gulp) duscussion could lead to some practice improvements. At the very least it needs to be acknowledged (?)

It might be commercially helpful if PHP-talk members provided expert advise to their customers on the issue, even as they provided the web-based solutions requested. Perhaps instead of meeting the competitive challenge by lowering price and offering the same stuff, one could diferentiate by doing so along with advice and caution on the poor practice?

-=john andrews